Thursday, November 21, 2013

Book Review of The Time Smugglers (The Camelot Inheritance Book 2) by Rosie Morgan



Synopsis:

It’s been a year since Arthur Penhaligon swapped his skateboard for a sword and became a reluctant, teenage hero - and a Guardian of Cornwall. 
Twelve months since he and his friends found themselves among time-travellers and ancient knights.
Fifty-two weeks of wondering what would happen next. The waiting is almost over.
On Cornwall’s shores, old and new enemies are gathering, more deadly and more powerful than the four Guardians could ever imagine.
Memories will live and the Time Keeper will be named. There will be bloody battles, death will finally claim its prize and a tiny green dragon will make its mark

Nick still jokes (all the time), and Gawain’s Uncle Kitto is just as mysterious. Tamar is even more feisty and Arthur discovers that some old enemies will not die – well not quite.

'A long-limbed figure scrambles over the rocks accompanied by a midnight-feathered bird. On the cliff path, a Watcher observes the man and the bird, before disappearing with a crackle and a 'woomph' into another century.
Meanwhile Arthur, Nick and Tamar sit together on the hillside above the beach, three of the four Guardians, unaware that the peace of the last year is about to be shattered in the cruelest way possible.


Review:


The Time Smugglers (The Camelot Inheritance #2)The Time Smugglers by Rosie Morgan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I received a copy from the author in return for an honest review.

This is the second book in The Camelot Inheritance Series for middle grade children that takes the myths and legends of Arthur (that's King Arthur to you!) and gives it a modern twist. I loved it!

Arthur Penhaligon is a fantastic character. He is a young man with an amazing destiny - he is a Guardian of Cornwall. I really liked this character when I first met him in The Golden Sword. He has done a bit of growing up over the year, but there is still danger lurking, and Arthur and his friends, Nick, Gawain and Tamar, are in for another adventure.

This is a fantastic adventure series set in Cornwall, England. I have been eagerly waiting for this story, because I wanted to know what the intrepid trio had been up to. This tale is told from several different points of view, which I found most interesting, and kept me hooked from the first page! I was swept back into the lives of Arthur, Nick and Tamar, as well as their new friend Gawain. There are a few other characters that make another appearance. Mainly the Watcher's and the Writer. These are enigmatic characters that bring their own kind of intrigue to the tale. Why are they watching? Why are they recording events? These questions and more floated round my head, but that being said, I found them rather fun too! Their antics (especially the Watchers') made me giggle in places. I suppose time travel can cause it's own issues! There are several twists and turns that surprised me, and I just love Nick's dragon! Where can I get one?
This story is a mix of adventure, myth and magic that will keep younger readers completely hooked!

Rosie Morgan is a debut author who has written an exciting adventure series for children. I am becoming a huge fan! I love her writing style, which is fast paced, and I loved the way the story flowed. I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series as soon as possible.

I highly recommend this story to both boys and girls in the 7 to 14 age range. However, I also recommend this book to adults if you love YA or fantasy genres. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


         

No comments:

Post a Comment