Sunday, July 01, 2012

Solstice: a novel of the Zombie Apocalypse By Donna Burgess

Solstice: a novel of the Zombie Apocalypse By Donna Burgess
Book Description
Publication Date: May 15, 2012
On the eve of winter Solstice, a massive flash envelopes the Earth and then there is nothing. The sun no longer shines and civilization is plunged into unending darkness. Those exposed to the mysterious flash have changed—they have become bloodthirsty, cunning, and determined to devour anyone who is not infected. They are Ragers. In Sweden, a group of uneasy travelers hears a broken broadcast. There is hope. Something called Sanctuary waits, but it is thousands of miles away, somewhere on the shores of the British Isles. Meanwhile, in a London supermarket, a high school English teacher from the States finds himself stranded along with a handful of students on a senior trip. Outside, hoards of hungry Ragers await, ready to tear them limb from limb. Their only hope is to find Sanctuary. Solstice is a tale of hope, terror, survival, and finding love at the end of the World.

Where to star, where to start?  What can I say that would convince you that you seriously need to read this book?  I don’t know the answer, so I am imploring you, trust me, you want to read this book.  This was my first ever Zombie book.  Post apocalyptic Europe had me enthralled.  The characters, again very human and very flawed had me rooting for some and wishing others would dissolve like an aspiring in water.  The author managed to use the dystopian backdrop as a character all in and of itself.  I loved it.  The reaction of the characters, at time heroic, at times normal had me saying out loud, NO, NO, NO, don’t go into that shop.  No, don’t let her in.  NOOOOOOOO.  It is not often that I get this involved in a story line.  It is not many an author that manages to grip a reader and pull them this forcefully into the story. 
I wondered about the start rating I would a lot to this book.  I ended up with a 9 * thrill rating.  The only reason why it is not a ten, is because I still need to read the other books the author has published, I doubt if they are even better, but in case they are, I will reserve the perfect 10 for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment