Saturday, June 30, 2012

Catspell as reviewed by Lynn Worton

Book Review of The Fairy Godmother Dilemma: Catspell by Danyelle Leafty

A head cold can muddle the clearest of heads, and fairy godmothers are no exception.

Which is why Nerissa finds herself agreeing to help Breena, a Damsel in Distress,... even though she’d rather wrangle a whole posse of evil stepmothers than accept the job. To her credit, Breena, would rather kiss a hundred toads than work with a fairy godmother.

After an ill-fated attempt to get out of their contract, Breena now has whiskers, claws, and a tail. Finding a suitable prince for a small, white cat isn’t going to be easy, but that’s the least of Nerissa’s problems. The person who gave Breena the “cat” potion isn’t going to stop until she’s destroyed everything Nerissa stands for as a fairy godmother.
If she wants to save Breena, Nerissa is going to have figure out where the fairy tale went wrong and how she can bring a Happily Ever After to the only girl she’s ever failed.

Catspell is a retelling of The White Cat.

Review 5*****

This is a fairy tale story at it's finest! I loved reading them as a child, and when I started reading this book, it brought all the feelings I had of wonder and enchantment back!
I have no recollection of ever reading The White Cat, but there are certain elements in this book that rang the proverbial bell in my mind.

Nerissa is a Fairy Godmother, who has been summoned to find the Happily Ever After for Breena. Suffering with a cold, she is not in the best of moods, but agrees to help. I found her character to be caring of her charges, but she appeared to distance herself from the rest of the magical realm. However, she is a force to be reckoned with!
Breena is a sweet character, who finds herself being in the un-enviable position of being turned into a cat. If I had been turned into an animal, I would be angry, or at least very emotional (woe is me - that sort of thing), but Breena just seems to take it in her stride. But saying that, this is a fairy tale, so there are no hysterics!
However, there are princes, dragons and other fairy folk that have their say, as this book is told from several points of view. I especially loved Myles. I truly felt sorry for him! I would love for him to find his DID (Damsel In Distress), because he's such a wonderful character.

Danyelle Leafty has taken an old fairy tale and given it a sprinkling of her own brand of magic! I'm now looking forward to reading The Godmother Dilemma: Firespell, as I want to find out what happens next! I recommend this book for young readers and those who want to revisit their childhood. - Lynn Worton

No comments:

Post a Comment