Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Book Review of Escape: A New Life by David J. Antocci


Synopsis:

After saving a drowning man during a savage storm, Abby wakes up in a tropical paradise in a fight for her life. She has no idea how she got there, and notices changes in herself that she cannot explain. Haunted by unsettling dreams of her past, she sets out to escape, joined by Eric, who finds himself in the same predicament. Standing in their way is a madman, and his band of willing followers, with a mind set on murdering their unwelcome visitors. An eccentric hermit who has been living there for years offers them refuge, but they must deny his generosity. Escape is their only option. Yet, they discover this deceptive paradise is harder to leave than they had ever imagined. One mystery leads to another, until their escape throws them into even greater danger as Abby’s frightening past finally catches up with her. Her escape is only the beginning.

Review:


Escape: a New LifeEscape: a New Life by David J Antocci
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

WOW! This is an exciting roller coaster ride of an adventure! I loved it!

Abby is a fantastic character. She is very bright, very strong and deadly! However, she also cannot remember certain details - like where she is, or how she got there. But she is one heck of a fighter!

Eric is also in the same boat, so to speak. He too cannot remember how he ended up floating in the ocean. I loved his character. He seems to be very cool under pressure.

As I started reading this novel, I thought "Oh, no! Not another Hunger Games wanna be!". However, this book may have some similarities, but the storyline is completely unique! Told from mostly Abby's and Eric's points of view, the story is attention grabbing! But, other characters have their say too, which gives this a movie like feel! This is a mix of "Extreme Survivor", "Big Brother" and a compelling romance! This book is full of action, adventure and danger that had me completely hooked! The characters are extremely lifelike. I didn't like a few of the other characters, because they are extremely "bad" and terrifyingly dangerous - especially Tom and Bryce! They made me shudder with disgust and revulsion! There are some twists in this tale that completely surprised me - Abby's history for one is an unpleasant revelation, but I can understand why she did what she could to escape from it. The romance between Abby and Eric is extremely sweet! The cliffhanger of an ending sent a shudder up my spine, and now I'm looking forward to reading the next book as soon as possible!

David Antocci has written an exciting debut novel. This author is one to watch! His writing style is fast paced and extremely fluid. I think I will have to add him to my favourite authors list!

I highly recommend this book if you love thrillers, suspense and/or dystopian fiction or are fans of The Hunger Games Trilogy. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment