Friday, July 19, 2013

Book Review of Jack (Leech: Book 2) by james crawford


Synopsis:

Every high school has it's social elite; the football players and cheerleaders ... you know, the popular crowd. At Butler High, Jack Barely was as close to the top as they came. Captain of the swim team, great hair, and abs that most would die for. However, that was all before the Leeches attacked, taking away everything: his popularity, his house, his grandmother, and even his best friend, Caleo, whom he secretly loved.

Now, living in a destroyed world, popularity means nothing as Jack struggles just to keep him and his twin sister, Jillian, alive. With attacks happening more frequently, Jack starts to wonder why they are even bothering to try and hold onto the past when it just reminds him of all they have lost. Just when he has given up hope, Jack hears a rumor that Caleo is still alive and sets out on a mission to find him. But will Jack make it to finally tell Caleo how he really feels?


Review:


Jack (Leech, #2)Jack by James Crawford
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

This is the second book in the Leeches series. I loved it!

Jack Barely is a fantastic character. I loved him from when I met him in the first book, Caleo. He is a very confident young man, who usually has a great sense of humour. However, he has one regret: that he didn't tell Caleo how he felt about him.

Jillian Barely may be Jack's twin, but she is no push over! In fact, it is her strength of character that shines through in this book! I didn't really like her in Caleo, because she came across as a snob. However, I warmed to her, when I realised that it was just a front.

I have been eagerly wanting to read this book for some time now. The cliffhanger at the end of the first book saw to that! The story is a fantastic continuation of the series, but I did find that I was slightly disappointed in it too. Don't get me wrong, I loved this story, but there was something not quite right. There was something missing and the story fell flat in places, in my opinion. I have no idea why. It could be that I had expected more than I should have from the story. Sequels have to live up to their predecessors, and sometimes, for whatever reason, they don't quite get there. I'm not going to mark this down to a 4, because I feel that this book deserves it's 5.
I loved seeing the world through Jack's eyes, and it's not pretty! There is extreme danger for the humans as the two camps of Leeches face off against each other. Leeches are people with a special ability or power such as turning invisible, freezing a room full of people or turning into water to avoid capture. The way these Leeches absorb powers of other Leeches reminds me of the movie "The Highlander". However there is no lighting, but streams of power. I don't know why, but I have visions of a mercury-like substance creeping towards the recipient. The story twists and turns in places, which I loved, but there was one part that I felt that Jillian's behaviour was a bit creepy. I knew that she had been through a trauma, but even so, I found her lack of emotional response a bit unnerving! She was too "normal".
The end of the book has a shocking twist and another cliffhanger. I am now looking forward to reading the next book in the series!

james crawford has written another fast paced novel that kept me hooked from the first page! I love his writing style, it's easy to get lost in the world he has created. The characters are mostly likable, with the exception of Alix. I hope he gets his comeuppance!

This is a fantastic book in a an amazing series. I highly recommend this book if you love YA/Paranormal/Science Fiction or Gay & Lesbian genres. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


            

No comments:

Post a Comment