Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Midnight Hunter by Bonnie Bernard
Blurb via Goodreads
Donna McCormick is a smart, pretty college student whose twenty-first birthday is a week away. Unfortunately, so is her murder - unless the mysterious man from the darkness can reach her first.

Donna is pursued in her dreams by a man who claims to be her Eternal Partner. During her waking hours, she’s cornered by another who claims to be the same. There’s only one problem: neither is entirely honest.

Or, for that matter, entirely human.

Eight years earlier, Donna’s life was dealt a terrible blow with the untimely death of a little brother who was left in her care. Ever since, Donna has yearned to get a normal life back – and despite her best friend Mo’s efforts to the contrary, Donna has almost managed it…at least until the Underworld cracks wide open, scattering chaos and spilling out every shifty force under the moon. Most of them want Donna dead, but some will stop at nothing to keep her alive.

Too bad she doesn’t know which is which.

With death following Donna like a shadow, she turns to her best friend for help. But instead of help, Mo offers only more mystery. And she knows more about the Underworld than she's willing to admit.

Now, Donna must choose: Cling to the mortal world where she feels safe, or embrace the Underworld where her dreams – and nightmares – come true.

One thing’s for sure - doing either one might get her killed in both.
My Review :
Oh so where to start.  Probably with the best thing about this book, the fact that a second and a third is already available and for the coup de grace I OWN THEM!
I loved this book so much it is incredible.  At the end of the book it says Bonnie is an alter ego, she lives with her husband a dog and cats and a ghost.  She loves stuff that goes bump in the night etc.  What it does not say is that this woman is a genius in her field of writing for new adults.  What a misleading term.  I am far from a young adult and I absolutely adore this book.  I have one plan and one plan only for when I am finished with my next two review books and that is to start immediately on the second book.
Bonnie creates a world where Vampires is either nasty or nice.  The nasty ones are evil and the good ones drop dead gorgeous but all of them are very, very dangerous. 
Donna, the female main character develops a very strong sense of self at the end of book one, as she learns more about her toes and . . . Oh wait, you don’t know about her toes.  LOL.  Go read the book.  Dante is adorable if under suspicion, Samee is sweet and you will feel as if you need to protect her.  Mo is incredible and frustrating and fun and Hunter. . . well he likes Donnas' toes. 
This is a world where things that goes bump in the knight collides by taking on positions of power, the local police etc is all either minions or Vampires.  The evil kind.  Vampires in this book do not sparkle!  Which is really cool because after watching the last in the Twilight series I am convinced that married life even takes out the sparkle of a Vampire?  Seriously?  But I regress.  This is a world I can imagine exists.  This is a world in which I am very glad I am not. 
The story is logical and flows fluently.  The language is easy and appropriate and the characters are likeable, horrible or detestable.  Trust me, by the end of the book you will want to name your daughter Samee and rethink Stephen as an option.  Politics comes to play in this book but as a side line and I really enjoyed the underhanded stabs at the immorality of politicians. 
All in all I give this book a 7 ******* review.  This is a must read for all, and for those romantics amongst us.  You are going to love this.

2 comments:

  1. AWESOME review Wanda! I am reading Midnight Hunter now my self and just getting started but I tell you I gotta find out about the toes!! Hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like the review Anne. It is such a nice easy read. I loved it and cant wait to get started on the other two books on the list...... Have fun

      Delete