Sunday, December 29, 2013

Book Review of Until Today: Stories and Poems on Life as I Know It by Jerry M. White



Synopsis:

Our journey through life begins new each morning. The totality of these days, one day at a time, is our life experience. It is different for each of us. There are, however, many similarities in our personal experiences. We each experience joy, grief, exuberance, humiliation, optimism, doubt, genius, foolishness, and of course, courage, and fear. We each are so similar in so many different ways it is hard to not see how connected we all are. My hope is to convey my feelings on my experiences so you know you are not alone in your journey each new morning to the next. This new book regards many such experiences in your day's journey that are similar to mine. I hope you find some resonance and solace through events during my life's journey Until Today.

Review:


Until Today: Stories and Poems on Life as I Know ItUntil Today: Stories and Poems on Life as I Know It by Jerry M. White
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

I am not a big reader of poems or memoirs, but I thought I would give this book a chance. I'm glad I did, because I really enjoyed it!

This book is a collection of thoughts, dreams, hopes and anecdotes, sprinkled with poems that express the emotions of the author at any given time - joy, anger, love, despair and faith. The author is a Christian, and his writing shows his love of God. However, this book is not at all preachy, or a "follow my faith or else" type of book. This is one man's journey to find the faith and strength to live his life one day at a time with his family. It is an incredibly touching and deeply moving story. The poems can be rather personal, or a social commentary of the time, but they resonated with me. I giggled at a few of the stories, but there are some extremely poignant ones that brought tears to my eyes. Poetry is really a very subjective genre, but the way this author has expressed himself shows that he was not afraid to bare his soul.

Jerry M. White has written a wonderful and touching book. His words open a small window into his life, but shows his full character - a loving husband, father and grandfather. I would definitely read more books by this author.

I highly recommend this book if you love Christian literature, memoirs or poetry genres. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


         

No comments:

Post a Comment