Monday, June 09, 2014

Book Review of The Mortal Instruments 6: City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare



Synopsis:

Darkness has descended on the Shadowhunter world. Chaos and destruction overwhelm the Nephilim as Clary, Jace, Simon, and their friends band together to fight the greatest evil they have ever faced: Clary’s own brother. Nothing in this world can defeat Sebastian - but if they journey to the realm of demons, they just might have a chance… Lives will be lost, love sacrificed, and the whole world will change. Who will survive the explosive sixth and final instalment of the Mortal Instruments series?

Review:


City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6)City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is the sixth and final book in The Mortal Instruments series. I loved it! The book in print format was so thick, I was worried I would end up with a sprained wrist. Therefore, I also got this book in Kindle format. However, there is a nice surprise at the end of the print book that does not appear in the Kindle book; a drawing of the main characters.

I usually do a character breakdown, but since this is the sixth book, most of the characters are already well known. However, there are a few new characters introduced. One of them is Emma Carstairs. She is a twelve year old shadowhunter-in-training. I liked this character a lot. She is very determined, stubborn and loyal. When tragedy strikes, she, her cousins and her best friend are thrown into a deadly fight for their lives. These characters will be the lead characters in the new The Dark Artifices series.

I have been wanting to read this story for over a year, so once it arrived, I put down my current read and got stuck in! Clary, Jace, Simon, Alec and Isabelle are once again thrown into a deadly cat and mouse game against Sebastian. I read this book in one sitting, as I couldn't put it down. To say there was over 700 pages, I finished it within 9 hours or so. There is so much going on, that I was in tender hooks as I was reading, wondering what was going on elsewhere. The story swept me back up into the lives of the Shadowhunters and the Downworlders. I found myself on a huge emotional merry go round. I love Jace's witty self-depreciating one liners; they kept me highly entertained and giggling. He has got to be one of the most self assured and confident characters I have ever come across. However, my favourite character from the series is actually Simon. He has been since he was first introduced. He is the best friend, boyfriend or steady shoulder to cry on; he is dependable, brave and loyal. However, he also has a vulnerability about him, even though he is now a vampire and virtually indestructible. The story was just as exciting and full of adventure and danger as the previous stories, though I found myself crying a lot. There are some heavy scenes with characters being killed off during the battles between the Shadowhunters and Sebastian's army. Some losses were extremely unsettling, however, as I liked the characters involved. It was nice meeting up with Tessa again, as well as a surprise character (those of you who have read The Infernal Devices will know whom). I hope that they make an appearance in the next series. The story has many twists and turns, with several surprises and shocks for the reader. There is one scene of a private moment between two of the characters which, although not explicit, was a little surprising due to timing (in my opinion), but not totally unexpected. The ending was well rounded, although it didn't end like I thought it would. But then again, it suited the situation. I would love to say more, but am terrified that I will say too much and spoil it for other readers; I hate spoilers in reviews. However, I will say that you HAVE to read this book if you have read the other five. And if you haven't read this series yet, what's taking you so long? It's a MUST READ!

This series has been an exciting rollercoaster ride from beginning to end. I am sorry that it has now come to an end, and I will miss these characters who have become my friends. I will be visiting them though by reading the books again and, hopefully, meeting them as cameo's in the next series. *Crossing fingers!*

Cassandra Clare has written a fantastic YA series full of paranormal and lifelike characters. I sometimes feel like I should be checking the person next to me in case they are hiding behind a glamour! I love her writing style, which is extremely fast paced (but not rushed) and the flow of the story was also wonderfully fluid. She is one of my favourite authors, and I am looking forward to reading more of her books in the future.

I highly recommend this YA book (and series) to teens and adults alike, as Cassandra Clare has created a fantastic world that has captured my imagination, and it will capture yours too! - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


                   

No comments:

Post a Comment