Sunday, August 03, 2014

Audio/Book Review of Save My Soul by K.S. Haigwood



Synopsis:

Kendra Larkin had everything going in the right direction. Her life was seemingly perfect, and she wouldn't have changed a thing about it. Unfortunately, the course of her life was about to be forever altered. A tragic rappelling accident lands her on Dr. Adam Chamberlain's operating table.

She agrees to a deal proposed by a guardian angel to help save the soul of the man who is both her doctor and soulmate. If she is successful, she gets to keep her life. However, she later learns that it isn't just her life that's in jeopardy, but her soul as well.

Even with the help of her handsome guardian angel, Rhyan, it seems there is no happy ending in sight. Torn between her newly discovered love of Rhyan, and the undeniable attraction she has for Adam, Kendra finds herself at a crossroad. With Adam's steadfast rejection of God, and his guardian demon conspiring against her, she fears her soul may already be lost.

Will she find a way to overcome the evil her life is suddenly burdened with? Or will Adam's guardian demon win both their souls and make Kendra his own personal puppet in Hell?

Review:


Save My Soul (Save My Soul, #1)Save My Soul by K.S. Haigwood
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is an intriguing paranormal romance. I really enjoyed it!

I originally downloaded this on my Kindle a while ago, as I was intrigued with the blurb. However, I decided to also download an audio copy so I could listen to it whilst doing household chores.
I was, however, a little disappointed with the narrator of this story. Erin Mallon read the story clearly and gave each character their own voice, but I found that when she came to take a breath after a comma, or at the end of a sentence and to start the next, it was rather loud and annoying. In a way, her breathing showcased the precise way she pronounced each word, so I cannot fault her for that. Nevertheless, her deep breaths distracted me from enjoying the story more.

Kendra Larkin is a character that I wasn't sure I liked. I found her character a bit superficial and weak; she was not as well developed as she could have been. Nevertheless, she does have a few redeeming qualities. She is kind and loving, though she is a bit of a daredevil, and is a photographer by trade.

I started listening to this story and, apart from the narrator's breathing, found myself hooked. I am not particularly religious, but I do believe that everyone of us has a soul, and that each of us has a soulmate, even if we haven't met them yet. However, although I am a consummate romantic, I am not convinced about insta-love. Nevertheless, I set aside my skepticism and went with it for the sake of the story.
This story does have a rather religious feel to it, though it is not preachy. I also found some of the dialogue a little cheesy at times, and I kept wanting to roll my eyes because of it. But this is just my opinion; other readers may not feel the same way.
I liked meeting a few of the characters; I did find Adam Chamberlain a bit self-absorbed and conceited at first, though as the story progressed, I began to like him more. I did, however, like Rhyan from the start. He is Kendra's guardian Angel. He seemed to be a stronger character; more suited to being the lead, rather than a secondary one. I liked his determination to help and guide Kendra in her task. I also liked Mason, Kendra's nurse. But, things are not as they seem and, as the story takes a decidedly darker twist, I found myself cheering on Kendra as she took on Adam's guardian Demon. The story ended happily, and I am now looking forward to reading/listening to the next book, Hell's Gift, as soon as possible.

K.S. Haigwood has written a wonderful paranormal romance. I loved her fast paced writing style, and the flow of the story was wonderful. I will be following her career with interest.

I recommend this story if you love older YA or paranormal romance genres. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


               

No comments:

Post a Comment