Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Book review of Guardian by Gillian Joy
By Kim Castillo

Review 3 out of 5

First, let me say that I REALLY wanted to like this book. I started out liking the book. I thought the concept and idea behind the book were amazing, and a totally... different take on the policing of the paranormal community.

I liked Hannah until about 1/3 into the book. I stayed with the story until about 3/4 way in, then skimmed the rest of it, just to see what happens. The "triangle" (if you want to even call it that) between Jesse, Gabriel, and Hannah is lackluster. I found myself rooting for Gabriel to just give up on her. I think I yelled at Hannah in my head REPEATEDLY, to just go with the flow. But no, it's a book, and a fictional character... :).

I felt that some important parts of the book were missing. Without giving the story away too much, I felt that an entire part of Hannah's life wasn't told. And by not being told, two pretty major events just get skimmed over, and I was left confused, as there were, maybe, only 2 paragraphs that somewhat haphazardly summarized the events. I literally stopped reading the book, and just stared at the transitional paragraph muttering "WHAT?????".... Meanwhile, everyday events and thoughts were told in EXCRUCIATING detail.

By the end of the book, I was a little disgusted with Hannah, and found myself rooting for a final ending. But alas, there was somewhat of a cliffhanger, and apparently the story continues in Forever, the next installment of the series.

I hate to say this, because I LOVE series books, as well as anything Fantasy/Paranormal, but I probably won't be reading the continuation book to see what happens. I'll wait for the "CliffNotes" version and just read the summary.
See More

No comments:

Post a Comment