Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Book Review of Saying Goodbye Without Saying Hello by RaeBeth McGee-Buda


Synopsis:

The journey of pregnancy brings hope, joy, and love for the expecting mother. The hope of giving birth to a new life. The joy of feeling this new life grow inside of her. The love that starts with a test that doesn’t ever end. Dreams for the unborn child flood the new mother’s mind, as well as those around her. Each step of the pregnancy is a cherished moment. The anticipation of meeting her cherished baby builds from the very first month and ends after birth. 

This is the story of one mother and how a few words changed her life forever. How a piece of her faded when she heard these words: “There’s no heartbeat.” When RaeBeth Buda laid in the hospital in labor, she and her husband heard those dreaded words. 

What happens when all of those dreams are shattered in a moment’s notice? How does one cope with the loss of their child? This is the story of their journey and of the devastating grief of the loss of her daughter, Dakota Emily Buda.


Review:

Saying Goodbye Without Saying HelloSaying Goodbye Without Saying Hello by RaeBeth McGee-Buda
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a true story, told by a mother who has lost her child due to stillbirth.

I am not a huge reader of non-fiction, but I had read (fiction) books by this author previously, and when I heard that she was writing this story, I knew that I was in for an emotional ride. I have never had a child, so I could not fully comprehend what someone who has feels when they are expecting. The excitement and joy at finding out that you are to be a parent is something I may never get to find out, but many women do. This story takes the reader on a journey of wonder, excitement, happiness, joy, worry, dread and grief. I had to keep putting this book down to dab at the tears streaming down my face, but I also had to keep reading. This story had me feeling everything the author felt at each stage of her pregnancy. Although I cannot fully comprehend the emotional merry-go-round that this author (and other parents) have gone through, I felt my heart break whilst reading Dakota Emily's story.

What struck me about RaeBeth McGee Buda was that she was obviously grieving for her daughter, Dakota Emily Buda, whilst writing this story. Her heart and emotions are bared on the page for everyone to see. What astounds me is her inner strength, which filled me with awe! Her faith that her daughter was sent here by God for a short time, touched me deeply.

Why things like miscarriage, S.I.D.S (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) and stillbirths happen is still a bit of a medical mystery. Why? is a good question. Why does this still happen when we have better medical care? Why do some children die, when others survive? Maybe there is a rhyme and/or a reason for this, but it is elusive. All we have is faith; faith that those who are taken away too soon, will be waiting for us when it's our time. However, sometimes faith is cold comfort for those parents who have lost a child. My heart goes out to each and every one who have lost their child/children.

I highly recommend that this book be read by everyone. It is an emotive story, but if you or one of your family members has also suffered through the loss of a child, you will find that you are not alone. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment