Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Book Review of Armored Hearts by Melissa Turner Lee and Pauline Creeden

Armored HeartsArmored Hearts by Pauline Creeden
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have previously read books by Melissa Turner Lee, but I haven't read anything by Pauline Creeden before, so I was curious to find out what these two authors could come up with. This is a fantastic story! I loved it!

Tristan Gareth Smyth is a fascinating character. Unable to walk, he uses a wheelchair to get around. I liked this character very much. He did have a tendency to mope, but he also has a pragmatic outlook on life. He pushes people away by being surly and difficult; I think he does this to avoid either pity or getting hurt, which is understandable, but (in my opinion) unnecessary. When he rescues a young girl, he finds out a shocking secret about himself. He can fly!

I can honestly say that I have never read a book like this! It is completely different to anything I have read before. There are elements of romance mixed in with an action/adventure that was very refreshing! I have heard of Steampunk in fashion (i.e. utilising old fashioned clothing with a modern twist), however, I never actually thought about it outside of the abstract. This book takes the Victorian era and puts a modern twist into it. I was completely fascinated with the "Bonnet Club" and what the ladies actually got up to. I suppose that if you liked tinkering with machines or inventing in those times, it was considered "un-lady-like". However, I slightly digress. This story took me on an amazing adventure, with secrets and revelations, mystery and suspense, combined with a touching romance. (Oh, and Seelie fairies!) I am most definitely looking forward to reading the next book in the series!

Melissa Turner Lee was already one of my favourite authors, so I am going to have to add Pauline Creeden to the list too! This was an amazing collaboration, and I hope these two authors will continue to work together for a long time to come!

I highly recommend this book if you love action/adventure, paranormal romance or Steampunk. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment