Friday, May 03, 2013

Talented by Sophie Davis

Ok, so this is a YA book with a love triangle.  Nice dialogue with suspense and a fast plot etc.
None of which is what I want to share with you.
This is what made this book a 5 * read for me.  You have Eric, Talia and Henri in a team.  Eric is a hot guy, the envy of others and woman will fall over themselves to gain his attention.
Talia is our main protagonist and she is nice and has a temper to boot.  None of which has anything to do with what I want to say.
Here is Henri.  He is a gay man in a place and time where his sexuality is not part of the equation.  He loves Frederick.  Frederick loves him.  This is still not what I want to talk about.
I want to talk about the fact that the author managed to portray Henri in such a manner that I came to respect him.  I often find myself rooting for one character or another.  At times I hate characters and at times I wonder if the author knows any character in a certain age bracket because I have never met such juvenile or on the other hand mature 13 year olds.  But NEVER has an author managed to make me respect a character. 
The book itself with the story line deserves a 5 * rating.  But for this fact alone I would have awarded a 5*.  Henri is not even close to being one of the main protagonists but still he was fluffed out enough and of such character that I fell in love with character. 

No comments:

Post a Comment