Monday, August 05, 2013

Book Review of Venetia a Supernatural Thriller set in Venice by Simon Barnes


Synopsis:

A chilling supernatural thriller played out amongst the evocatively conjured canals and alleyways of Venice, as spirits centuries old are re-awakened by the discovery of a mirror at an archaeological dig. And the archaeologists' seven-year-old daughter is what these spirits need...

Review:


Venetia - A Supernatural thriller set in VeniceVenetia - A Supernatural thriller set in Venice by Simon Barnes
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a chilling and completely page turning read! I loved it!

Penny and Gideon Mantell are archaeologists. They, along with their seven year old daughter, Venetia, set off to Venice to work. These three characters are fantastic. Both Penny and Gideon are dedicated archaeologists, on the trail of a mystery spanning 500 years. Venetia is a typical, curious seven year old. She and her family are unaware of the danger that has lain sleeping, waiting to be released.

I started reading this book, and was hooked within the first paragraph! This is a very dark tale that was as compelling, as it was repelling! Aureo Zancani was a despicable and evil character who sent shivers down my spine! He abused a position of power to get what he wanted. His legacy of evil tainted an innocent, and left his family ashamed of him. It is characters like this that make me hope that there is a Hell.
Venetia was a breath of fresh air! Her curiosity and innocence made me want to hug her! She has a level head on her shoulders, and is extremely bright.
This book is told through several different points of view, but this did not break the flow of the story. In fact, it enhanced it. However, Venetia's point of view is the main focus, and her thoughts and ideas made me smile. The story has many twists and turns which built a sense of foreboding so strong in me, I was beginning to dread continuing to read! However, the twist at the end completely surprised me! Sufficed to say, the story has stayed with me long after finishing it.

Simon Barnes has written a hauntingly dark and thrilling supernatural thriller that has captured my attention. His descriptions of Venice made me feel like I was actually there. His writing style is fast paced and it flowed beautifully. I would consider reading more of this author's work in the future.

Due to the nature of this story, I do not recommend this book to younger readers. However, I highly recommend it if you love suspense, mysteries, thrillers or horror. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


                

No comments:

Post a Comment