Monday, April 08, 2013

Dhampyr HeritageDhampyr Heritage by E.G. Gaddess
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

Wow! This is a fantastic book! I loved it!

Gideon Harrington is a very fascinating character. He is only 15, turning 16, which shocked me somewhat, as he is extremely mature in his attitude. I would have thought him several years older. Maybe it's because of his experiences and the death/turning of his friend, Christian at such an early age, which made him grow up quickly. Then again, it could be the times in which he lived. I don't know if you would be considered an adult at the age of 16 in 1909, as I always thought it was 18. Nevertheless, I liked his character very much. He is the youngest son of Lord Reginald Harrington, but is not pretentious. In fact, he is very down to earth.

Zola is an extremely interesting character in her own right. She is also only 15, but she has had an extremely difficult childhood. She is very resourceful and extremely stubborn, but I liked her very much too.

This is a vampyr story that is extremely dark. There are no sparkly ones to be found at all here! Vamprys in this story are bloodthirsty creatures that coax and cajole their prey into offering their blood. If they cannot get their prey to give it up willingly, they will attack. I wouldn't like to meet these vampyrs! They made my skin crawl!
I was totally fascinated with the author's interpretation of these creatures, and struggled to put the book down once I started reading it! The story takes us from Portugal back to England, and the descriptions of the scenes on the journey are extremely well written. I felt like I was on board the ship with Gideon and Zola, and later at the Harrington's home. I liked all the other characters in the book, including Christian; He made a mistake, and is now paying the price. There are some twists and turns that tantalise the reader, and kept me guessing. All in all, a very enjoyable read!

E.G. Gaddess has written an exciting, fast paced story that got my heart pumping because of the danger! I highly recommend this book if you love paranormal or vampire stories. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment