Monday, April 01, 2013

To Kiss a Ghost (Book 2)To Kiss a Ghost by Becky Pourchot
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

This is the second book in The Hungry Ghost Series. I loved it!

Gala Rhyce is a very special character. She has the ability to speak to, and see, ghosts. She is only 15 years old, but I found her to be very sensible and down to earth. I love the way she interacts with the ghosts and how she tries to help them. I also love the way she and her brother get along. They have the usual spats, but when the going gets tough, they stick together.

There are also some very memorable characters in this book. I love Roy. He’s quite a character! Clumsy and bumbling come to mind! Joey is Gala’s brother, and a sweet and inquisitive boy, with a talent of his own. And then there is Jaylen! He is a wonderful character, and I think he is the sweetest person with a kind heart.

This maybe the second book in the series, but as I haven’t read the first one, I think I can safely say that you could read this book out of series if you wanted to. There are some references to the previous story, but it doesn’t necessarily detract from this tale. I found myself completely pulled into the story, and I struggled to put it down!
The escapades that these characters get into are humorous in places, and a bit scary in others. The characters are very life like (which is odd, because some are ghosts!) and are extremely likeable. There are also some bitter sweet scenes, especially at the beginning and at the ending that had me shedding some tears! There is also a bit of a cliffhanger at the end that makes me look forward to reading the next book in the series.

Becky M. Pourchot has written an exciting, humorous and touching story that is a mix between a coming of age tale and a paranormal one. I would definitely continue reading this author’s work. I must get myself a copy of the first book, Food For A Hungry Ghost. I highly recommend this book (and series) for younger readers (11+), or for those who love paranormal YA adventure/romance. – Lynn Worton

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment